is a medical doctor who specialises in mental health, including substance abuse disorders. It is a branch of science that involves the brain, the mind, human behaviours & social relationships.
Gone are the days of social avoidance for mental health problems. Nowadays, the bidirectional interaction between mental health & physical health is well documented.
The presence of certain physical illnesses increases the risk of some mental disorders & the presence of some mental illnesses increases the risk of complications & mortality due to different physical illnesses.
Today, the psychiatrist treats a wide variety of emotional & behavioural problems and is recognised to be a key stakeholder in educating the general public on mind wellness & it’s medical management.
“A modern psychiatrist must be able to balance his clinical psychiatry skills with the more typical medical acts, collaborating with specialists of other medical disciplines to provide a holistic approach to patient care thus ensuring better Quality of Life for their patients & the family”
Dr. Ranjan Bhattacharyya
Dr. Ranjan Bhattacharyya
MBBS, MD (Psychiatry, Gold Medal), DNB (Psychiatry), MNAMS, PG Diploma in Human Resource Management, IGNOU.
Dr Ranjan Bhattacharyya is a versatile & erudite scholar with several hats on his head. An illustrious career spanning over 3 decades, first as an enthusiastic medical student, then as a diligent clinician, dedicated community health worker, sincere teacher, avid academic & a passionate family man.
Specialist consultation having experience of more than 20 years in the following fields:
General & Adult Psychiatry, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Drug & Addiction disorders, Counselling & Psychotherapy, School Health, Mental Health, Marital therapy, Couple Therapy, Family Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Behavioural Therapy, Exposure & Response Prevention.
Consultation available for:
Bipolar affective disorders
Other Mood disorders.
Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD)
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)
Obsessive Compulsive disorder (OCD)
Autistic Spectrum disorders (Autism)
Specific Learning Disorder (SLD)
Social Anxiety disorder
Acute Stress Disorder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Internet/Computer/Video Games Addiction
Started following Specialized Clinics:
- Tobacco Cessation Unit (TCU)/ Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
- Deaddiction Treatment for Alcohol, Cannabis/ Ganja/ Hash/ Weeds/ Charas, Opioid/ Heroin, Cocaine, Inhalant (Fevicol/ Dendrite/ Eraz X/ Shoe polish/ Ink remover/Nail polish/ Petrol/ Diesel/ Kerosene), Club drugs, Newer Psychoactive Substances dependence.
- Sex Therapist. Erectile dysfunction, Premature Ejaculation, Dhat Syndrome, Masturbatory guilt, Excessive Masturbation, Female Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder, Disorders of sexual arousal and orgasm, Dual Sex Therapy by Master’s & Johnson’s, Squeeze/Semen Technique/Kaegel’s Exercises, etc.
Psychotherapy is also known as ‘talking cure’. It has an immense role to play in the management of psychiatric disorders.
- Psycho-education: Like the Health Education in the primary prevention, psyho-education plays a pivotal role to generate awareness of mental illnesses (MI).
- Supportive psychotherapy: It requires ’empathy’ and compassionate care to Person with MI (PMI) as well as their stakeholders.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT): The way we think (cognition), do (conation) and react (affect). The Beck’s classical triad of depression is (i) negative view about self (worthlessness), (ii) negative view about environment (helplessness) (iii) negative view about future (hopelessness). In CBT sessions we evaluate ‘cognitive errors’/schema, challenge automatic negative thoughts (ANT) with alternate thoughts. Record our thoughts in ‘thought diaries’. Then plan one’s Daily Activity Schedule (DAS) & Weekly Activity Schedule (WAS). Also we advocate Behavioural Activation.
- Relaxation Exercises, Deep Breathing Exercises & Jacobson’s Progressive Muscular Relaxation (JPMR).
- Behavioural therapy. Exposure & Response Prevention for Obsessive Compulsive Disorders (OCD).
- Limit setting, Token Economy, Type-Token Ratio, Positive & Negative reinforcements, Reward & Time out.
- Lovaas technique, Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA), Sensory integration therapy & Multi-sensory stimulation for Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Detoxification, Motivational Interviewing & Relapse Prevention for Drug abuse/Substance abuse disorders.
Get In Touch
Medica Superspeciality Hospital
Mb: 7044499825 (Gopal), 9903179680
LL: 033 66520000
Saturday & Monday 2:30-4:30 pm
Ruby General Hospital
Mb: 8336990451 (Chaitali Chakrabarty), 6290086335
104, Rash Behari Avenue, Kol 29
LL: 033 – 40646671/ 24666138
Narayan Memorial Hospital
601, Diamond Harbour Rd, Manton, Behala, Kolkata,
West Bengal 700034
Mb: +918697176959 (Moumita)
LL: 033 6640 0000
Morning Star, Centre for Healthy Living
114w, Raja Subodh Chandra Mallick Rd, Garia, Kolkata 700047.
Mb: 93302 42004
Hours : Sunday 5:00 pm onwards
(By prior appointment)
Remedy Medical Services Pvt Ltd
Opp Garia Sitala Mandir,
Kabi Nazrul Metro Station
LL: 033 24351057, 033 24356479
Hours: Sun: 08:30am – 12:30pm
Charak Square & Jivaka Square Diagnostic & Research Center
25 Rabindranath Tagore Road, Laldighi.
(Opp Laldighi Pvt Lodge),
Berhampore – 742101, West Bengal.
Mb: 7477799963, 7477799962, 9153711711